Tuesday 6 May 2014

The freedom writers: The feelings of Brandy Ross

For this weeks blog (week 10), I thought I might do something a little different. The Freedom Writers is a movie I loved during my high school years. I thought it would be interesting to create and expand on the motivations and feelings of Brandy Ross, a character within the film. This interior monologue takes place before the movie. Enjoy!! :)

-

What happened that night …. all comes back to me as a horrible dream. The screaming … the violence …. the tears.

Vivid images of my mother being bashed are all I can think of. It was always the same old story. That night, like every other one, the yelling began and I went into shut-down mode; taking my two younger siblings into the sanctuary of my bedroom and sang to them to hide the screaming. I was awoken by a loud noise and called out to mum… but HE just told me to go back to sleep.

The next day... I tried to wake her for work. I tried and tried to rouse... her but she just lay there... dead... lifeless. She and the man she forced me to call ‘dad’ didn’t get along.  They were always screaming at each other and... he was such a violent man. I have the scars and bruises to prove it. As did mum... large red handprints encircling  her neck that I could clearly see each individual fingermark. For so long I feared something tragic would happen to her. How could he have done this. I was fearful, tormented and frightened. How had we endured such a creep. Why did mum stay with him. She had always been lucky in the beauty department... although her lack in self-confidence affected her security and personal protection. I hate him; I hate what he has done to us, to my mum, our life. The questions of Why me? Why my mum? Why now? are questions I want answers for.

I had tried several times to leave while mum was alive... but threatened every time. The words he called me struck me to my inner core... what he said he would do to me... I was terrified. I remember the night before he killed my mum... they were fighting in the kitchen. I could hear the crashing of plates and cutlery and the terror in my mother's quivering voice... the alcohol-fuelled words he called her. I could tell she was scared... but trying to stay strong. I knew getting involved was not a though I had to think twice about... and mum wouldn't approve. I wanted to run…run as far as I could to escape from his cruelty, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t leave mum or Latoya or Jackson. So instead I remained.

That night I sat and tried to focus on what Mrs Gruwell would have done... restraining my urge to stop the pain and suffering of my mum, Mrs Gruwell would have encouraged me to leave… be in a safer environment… secure from all the aggression that my siblings and I have had suffered. But what's logical is not always possible... I simply didn't have the strength and family was my responsibility. I couldn’t leave mother to defend for herself… she needed me… she needed my help. I knew I shouldn’t just hide and pretend nothing was happening in the room beside but I didn't know what I could do.

Hiding in my room was like Anne Frank hiding from the Nazi soldiers. We were much the same age, Anne and I, both similar in so many ways, we'd seen to much horror and despair in our lives. Anne had died but I had a choice despite the fact that the one person who had raised me had died after being abused by a ghastly man . I am going to do what Mrs Gruwell had suggested. Start school… get an education… a life. Bring my siblings up the way mum would have wanted.  Miep Gies rescued Anne and Mrs Gruwell is rescuing me. I am so thankful for all that Mrs Gruwell has done for me… she listens… understands. She has given me the power to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment