Sunday 27 April 2014

The insurer from hell

On Saturday April 12, Category 1 Cyclone Ita hit Townsville and caused some damage at UNI.

At the Seagulls Resort, at approximately 9.00am after enjoying breakfast with my family, I received a text. "Owners of two white cars: a yaris (805-TKC) and a Rav 4 (EIL-95) in top car park, please message me, a tree has fallen down last night and has caused some damage" - I burst into tears. Lucky for me however, my parents hadn't left Townsville yet and I had insurance!! 


After the 15 minute drive back to UNI (which should have taken 30), we saw what was left of my poor baby Ruby. My back window was smashed (glass throughout the car, even on the floor of the driver and passenger), tyre cover cracked, light above back number plate smashed, guard holding the number plate broken, back right light full of water, left side mirror gone and roof severely dented. All in all, my car was in very bad state. Mum was on the phone to the insurer, dad was driving around trying to find somewhere open so he could buy a tarp to stop water from going into my back window, my brother on his phone and me, well... crying while my roommate comfort me. Me of all people, it just had to happen to me. The car parked behind me however, evident within the image above, took the punch and was clearly a write off. After dealing with UNI security, who may I add was INCREDIBLY RUDE, we finally managed to get the tree off (3 hours after calling them constantly). It was then time for Ruby to be towed away for assessment. 








Days had passed and we still hadn't heard anything back from the insurance. My mother started calling the insurance company everyday in hope that they would speed up the assessment. After two weeks of waiting, we finally received the call. Ruby wasn't a write off, she was to be fixed. $11,000 worth of damages and 4 weeks of parts to be shipped to Japan. I was told I wouldn't get my car back until mid June, which in insurance terms means July!! I was so angry as I have work commitments and have had to get time off. However, I am lucky to have amazing parents that will be lending me one of their cars for the duration of the two month wait. Home this Wednesday to drive mum's Toyota Aurion back up. 

When my baby finally comes back, she will be as good as new. Ruby 2.0! June cannot come quick enough!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment