Tuesday 25 March 2014

Mobile phones, mobile minds

After our lecture this week regarding convergence in the media, in addition to old and new media, I thought it would be appropriate to discuss something in light of this week's topic. Mobile phones play a large role in many people's lives. We use them to stay connected with family or friends or for work commitments, etc. However are mobile phones appropriate for children, or are we setting them up for harmful effects?

Figure 1: First Mobile Phone
I reflect on my childhood days and considered myself a "late boomer". Until the age of 13 (grade 8), when I started high school, I was not considered one of the "cool" kids. I was never up-to-day with the latest and greatest gadgets, including a mobile phone as some of my close friends were. Although, looking back I am thankful that my parents didn't introduce this time wasting, pointless technology into my life any earlier. I only have this direct opinion because I was brought up in a small country town where everyone knew everyone. If I lived in a larger city, I would most certainly require the benefits I believe kids these days can obtain, such as responsibility, of owning a mobile phone.

The most appropriate reason as to why children should be allowed a mobile phone, is to remain safe. After soccer training or leisure shopping at the mall, a child could call home or emergency services when trouble arises. A mobile is a cheap price to pay for reassurance. In addition, due to new GPS features, being able to pin point their location is a great source. I believe parents can also have the peace of mind knowing the convenience of being able to keep in contact with your child is easily accessible... as long as they don't turn it on silent, I was guilty of that growing up. Many schools globally are beginning to accept smart phones into classrooms, just as computers were for students to engage more into their learning. If this is introduced, does this mean that all students need a Smartphone? Although mobile phones may have numerous benefits, there are many downsides which parents should take precaution of.

Tung Tommy and Kenneth Foster analysed that "...more than half of all seven to 16-year-old [in the United Kingdom] own a mobile phone" (2005, p 18). This statistic is extremely high in my opinion, seven is far too young for children to be worrying about a mobile phone. My family friend has a seven-year-old, she does not allow her child to walk the streets or go shopping along, so the concern of safety is not necessary. I couldn't imagine the young girl with a mobile phone, instead she should be playing with barbies or pretending to be a hairdressers. Cyber bullying is a major downfall to children owning mobile phones, which I will talk about briefly as it is such a controversial topic. Many people associate cyber bullying with photos, videos and text messages sent, however social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter, allow information to travel globally. 'Like for a like' or 'like for a TBH (to be honest)' are Facebook statuses that allow users to comment about other people based of their opinions. Several nasty remarks are usually based on their belief or thoughts of the person such as their ethics, looks, family background, culture or personal beliefs. Little do they know that rude and inappropriate comments can have a significant impact of the individual, some even committing suicide.

Figure 2: Facebook's "like for a like" Campaign

Earlier this year, the Canadian Government released a TV ad called "stop hating online" in an attempt to reduce the cyber bullying and illegal doings. I just strive for parents and children to know and be aware of their actions and to be mindful that if you allow your child to own a mobile phone, they know that what they sent, and who they send it to may travel across varies media platforms and countries.

References
Chau, T. & Foster, K. (2005, December). Should children use mobile phones? IEEE Microwave Magazine, pp. 18-23.


No comments:

Post a Comment